Latin American Educator's Workshops
ACADEMIC YEAR 2016-17 Professional Development Teachers Workshops
June 5-9, 2017
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus
Professional Development Workshop directed to Middle School, High School and Community College Educators, and Librarians.
Illinois K-12 educators are elegible to receive ISBE Professional Development Hours (PDH). Others are elegible to receive General University Continuing Education units (CEU).
DESCRIPTION OF COURSEContact hours: 36 total hours, Monday to Thursday: 8 hours, Friday: 4 hours contact
- Discussion of the three aspects of the Tango: the music, the dance, and the lyrics, in the context of the sociohistorical developments in the River Plate area between 1880 and 1955.
- Materials are created by our instructor
- Activities supported with authentic aural/written/visual materials (lyrics, music, films, etc.)
- Daily extracurricular cultural activities.
- Opportunity for participants to share, make revisions to their own materials, and/or create new materials to be shared by all
- Some knowledge of Latin America is desirable but not required
- Enrollment limited to 30 participants.
- Full-Day Workshop.
- University Dorm residence available.
- Film with Discussion
- Lecture by Visiting Scholar focused on history of the region
- Tango Dance Instruction
- Final Reception
- Learn about the artistic and cultural diversity in a region of Latin America
- Acquire basic understanding of the cultural and social underpinnings of Tango.
- Produce course materials that use music, song lyrics as a way to talk about the social history of Latin America.
- All participants will receive a copy of the materials used in the workshop.
- Electronic Registration Form
- Registration Fee: $ 75.00 Â
- Registration opens: February 23, 2017
- Deadline: May 1, 2017
Saturday, February 4, 2017
10:00 am- 1:00 pm
National Museum of Mexican Art, Chicago
- Latin American Teachers Workshop. Saturday, May 6. University of Chicago
Transportation from the University of Illinois will be provided
If you have any questions, please contact Alejandra S-Seufferheld, CLACS Outreach Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 244-2790
Summer 2016 Latin American studies Educators' Workshop. June 6-10, 2016
Spring 2015 Latin American Teachers Workshop. May 2, 2015
Summer 2013 Latin American Teachers Workshop. June 11, 2013
2012 Latin American Teachers Workshop. March 31, 2012
2011 Latin American Teachers Workshop. April 16, 2011
2010 Latin American Teachers Workshop. April 24, 2010
2009 Latin American Teachers Workshop. April 18, 2009