CLACS Outreach Library aims to assist teachers with pre-K-14 materials on Latin America and the Caribbean. Our goal is to promote understanding of Latin American and Caribbean cultures and peoples.
Our collection includes fiction and nonfiction books in English and/or Spanish, videos, music CDs, flashcards, and children's instruments.
To visit the list of CLACS LENDING LIBRARY materials, click here.
To place your CLACS Outreach Library request, please complete the
You may also make an appointment with us to look at the materials in person. This service is free.
Here is a selection of Américas Award Winning books in our collection:
- Separate is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez & Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh. (Abrams Books, 2014). 2015 Américas Award Winner
- Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal by Margarita Engle. (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014). 2015 Américas Award Winner
- Parrots Over Puerto Rico by Cindy Trumbore and Susan Roth. 2014 Américas Award Winner
- The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano by Sonia Manzano. 2013 Américas Award Winner
- Hurricane Dancers by Margarita Engle. 2012 Américas Award Winner
- Clemente! by Willie Perdomo; illustrated by Bryan Collier (Holt, 2010). 2011 Américas Award Winner
- El Soñador / The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan; illustrated by Peter Sís (Scholastic, 2010). 2011 Américas Award Winner
- Arroz con Leche: Un poema para cocinar / Rice Pudding: A Cooking Poem by Jorge Argueta
- Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia by Jeanette Winter.
- Dear Primo by Duncan Tonatiuh
- Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez. Knopf. 2010 Américas Award Winner
- Que puedes hacer con una paleta? / What Can You Do with a Paleta? by Carmen Tafolla, Illustrated by Magaly Morales. 2010 Américas Award Winner
- Just in Case: A Trickster Tale and Spanish Alphabet Book by Yuyi Morales. Roaring Brook Press. 2009 Américas Award Winner
- The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle.
Selected DVDs in our collection:
- When the Words Collide: The untold story of the Americas after Columbus (PBS)
- Memories of Paradise, Coca and the Shining Path in Peru - a different perspective on the "drug wars"
- Quilombo County: Afrobrazilian Villages in the 21st Century
- Miths, Legends and Ttaditional Holidays from Latin America
- La Frontera: An introductory Lesson on the US-Mexico border
- Frontier Youth
- Latino Americans
Do you have any book, video or other material suggestions? Please send them to the CLACS Outreach Coordinator, or call (217) 244-2790.