The Américas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature
- Separate is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez & Her Familyâ€™s Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh. (Abrams Books, 2014)
- Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal by Margarita Engle. (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014)
2015 HONORABLE MENTIONS
Migrant by Jose Manuel Mateo and illustrated by Javier MartÃnez Pedro (Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2014)
Strike! The Farm Workers Fight for their Rights by Larry Dane Brimner (Calkins Creek, 2014)
2015 COMMENDED TITLES
A de Activista by Martha GonzÃ¡lez and illustrated by Innosanto Nagara (Triangle Square)
Abuelo by Arthur Dorros and illustrated by RaÃºl ColÃ³n (HarperCollins Publishers)
Caminar by Skila Brown (Candlewick Press)
Daliaâ€™s Wondrous Hair/El Cabello Maravilloso de Dalia by Laura LacÃ¡mara (PiÃ±ata Books)
Frida & Diego: Art, Love, Life by Catherine Reef (Houghton-Mifflin Harcourt)
Gabi, A Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero (Cinco Puntos Press)
Green is a Chile Pepper: a Book of Colors by Roseannae Greenfield Thong and illustrated by John Parra (Chronicle Books)
Letters from Heaven by Lydia Gil (PiÃ±ata Books)
Low Riders in Space by Cathy Camper and illustrated by RaÃºl the Third (Chronicle Books)
Portraits of Hispanic American Heroes by Juan Felipe Herrera and illustrated by RaÃºl ColÃ³n (Penguin Group)
The Secret Side of Empty by Maria E. Andreu (Running Press)
Twas Nochebuena by Roseanne Greenfield Thong, illustrated by Sara Palacios (Penguin Group)
- Parrots Over Puerto Rico by Cindy Trumbore and illustrated by Susan Roth. (Lee & Low Books, 2013)
2013 Honor Books
Diego Rivera: An Artist for the People by Susan Goldman Rubin
Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote by Duncan Tonatiuh
- The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano by Sonia Manzano. Scholastic Press.
2013 Honorable Mention
- Martín de Porres: The Rose in the Desert by Gary D. Schmidt and illustrated by David Diaz. Clarion Books.
2013 Commended Titles
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SaÃ©nz. Simon & Schuster.
- Drummer Boy of John John by Mark Greenwood, illustrated by Frané Lessac. Lee & Low Books, Inc.
- In Darkness by Nick Lake. Bloomsbury.
- Hurricane Dancers: The First Caribbean Pirate Shipwreck by Margarita Engle. Henry Holt and Company.
- Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People by Monica Brown; Illustrated by Julie Paschkis. Henry Holt and Company.
2012 Honorable Mention
- Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall. Lee and Low Books, Inc.
- The Queen of Water by Laura Resau and María Virginia Farinango. Delacorte Press.
2012 Commended Title
- Sylva and Aki by Winifred Conkling. Tricycle Press.
- Clemente! by Willie Perdomo. Illustrated by Bryan Collier. Holt, 2010 32 pgs. ISBN 978-8050-8224-1.
- The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan, Illustrated by Peter Sis. Scholastic, 2010. 372 pgs. 978-0439-26970-4.
2011 Honorable Mention
- The Firefly Letters by Margarita Engle. Holt, 2010. 151 pgs. ISBN 978-0-8050-9082-6.
2011 Commended Titles
- Arroz con Leche / Rice Pudding: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem by Jorge Argueta. Illustrated by Fernando Vilela.
- Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia by Jeanette Winter.
- César Chávez: A Photographic Essay by Ilan Stavans.
- Dear Primo by Duncan Tonatiuh.
- Dizzy in your Eyes: Poems about Love by Pat Mora.
- Eight Days: A Story of Haiti by Edwidge Danticat. Illustrated by Alix Delinois.
- Fiesta Babies by Carmen Tafolla. Illustrated by Amy Córdova.
- From North to South / Del norte al Sur by René Colato Laínez. Illustrated by Joe Cepeda.
- Grandma's Gift by Eric Velasquez.
- How Tia Lola Learned to Teach by Julia Alvarez.
- The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco X. Stork.
- Me, Frida by Amy Novesky. Illustrated by David Diaz.
- Napi funda un pueblo / Napi Makes a Village by Antonio Ramirez. Illustrated by Domi.
- Ole! Flamenco by George Ancona.
- Star in the Forest by Laura Resau.
- Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez. Knopf, 2009.
- What Can You Do with a Paleta? / ¿Qué puedes hacer con una paleta? by Carmen Tafolla, Illustrated by Magaly Morales. Tricycle Press, 2009.
2010 Honorable Mentions:
- Gringolandia by Lyn Miller-Lachmann. Curbstone, 2009.(Grades 9-12)
- I Know the River Loves Me / Yo sé que el río me ama by Maya Christina González. Children's Book Press, 2009. (Grades K-3)
- My Papa Diego and Me: Memories of My Father and His Art / Mi papa Diego y yo: Recuerdos de mi padre y su arte by Guadalupe Rivera MarÃn and Diego Rivera. Children's Book Press, 2009.(Grades 4-7)
- Just in Case: A Trickster Tale and Spanish Alphabet Book by Yuyi Morales. Roaring Brook Press (A Neal Porter Book), 2008. (gr K-4)
- The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom by Margarita Engle. Holt, 2008. (gr 8-10)
2009 Honorable Mentions:
- The Best Gift of All: The Legend of La Vieja Belén / El Mejor Regalo del Mundo: La Leyenda de la Vieja Belén by Julia Alvarez. Illustrated by Ruddy Nuñez. Alfaguara/Santillana, 2008. (gr 3-6)
- Dark Dude by Oscar Hijuelos.Atheneum, 2008. (gr 8-12)
- The Storyteller's Candle / La velita de los cuentos by Lucía González. Illustrated by Lulu Delacre. Children's Book Press, 2008. (gr 3-6)
2008 Américas Award Winners:
- Yum! ¡Mmmm! ¡Qué Rico! America's Sproutings by Pat Mora and Rafael Lopez (Lee & Low, 2007).
- Red Glass by Laura Resau (Delacorte, 2007).
2008 Honorable Mentions:
- Nochecita by Yuyi Morales (Roering Brook Presss & Neal Porter, 2007)
- Raining Sardines by Enrique Flores-Galbis (Roering Brook Presss, 2007)
Scholastic Teachers Book Resources: Latin America
Scholastic web page provides resources for teachers, parents, children, librarian and school administrators. The resources include teaching resources, student activities, books and authors. Scholastic web pages with different resources to teach different Latin America subjects
- Scholastic Teachers resources about Latin America
- Scholastic Latin America Music books/resources:
- Scholastic Latin America Geography books/resources:
- Scholastic Latin America Food books/resources:
- Scholastic Latin America History books/resources:
- Scholastic Latin America Traditions books/resources:
- Scholastic Latin America Native Languages books/resources: