Master's Programs Frequently Asked Questions

The Graduate School at the University of Illinois oversees Graduate admissions and their website is a valuable source of information for students seeking information about the application process and funding information. The UI Graduate School website is

When is the application deadline?

All application materials must be received by January 15th, for priority consideration applications will be considered on a rolling based after this date.

Where can I access the online application?

In the webpage of the Graduate College - ApplyYourself:

What additional components are required to complete an application?

Statement of Purpose, 2 pages, explaining focus and/or research interest.

Letters of Reference from three people who know you well and who can evaluate your potential for advanced study. These letters can be attached to the online application or submitted in paper to the Graduate College.

Official transcripts from all colleges you have attended or are attending should be sent in a sealed envelope directly to the Center.

A writing sample (approximately 10 pages or more, for example a class final paper).

The scores from your Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and, if applicable, your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), must be presented to the University of Illinois. All students regardless of citizenship are screened for English proficiency by the Office of Admissions and Records. If you have not had two or more academic years of full-time instruction at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, prior to the term of enrollment, then you are required to take the TOEFL and have your test results sent to the Office of Admissions and Records before you can be admitted. If you are exempt from the TOEFL, you must take the GRE and have your test results sent to the Office of Admissions and Records.

If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must provide the University Admissions Officer with a detailed statement of the financial resources that will enable you to live in the US for the duration of your studies at the University of Illinois.

Where should I send my transcripts, recommendation letters, and optional writing sample?

The IU Graduate School Online Application offers the option of electronic recommendation delivery, and also permits applicants to upload several supporting documents. We prefer that letters of recommendation and writing samples be submitted through these electronic methods.
These supporting documents may also, however, be sent by mail, along with paper copies of official college transcripts. Our postal address is:

Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
201 International Studies Building
910 S. Fifth Street
Champaign , IL 61820

Is there a minimum required GRE score?

There is no minimum required score. The Admissions Committee considers all aspects of each applicant's file in making admission decisions.

What is the minimum TOEFL score?

For TOEFL University policies check:

What is the GRE/ TOEFL code for the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies?

The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies does not have its own GRE code. Applicants should use the general GRE code (1836). The Graduate School will then transmit scores to CLACS.

What should I discuss in my Personal Statement?

The Committee is interested in hearing about your past studies, research, and work related to Latin America, and about how those experiences prepare and motivate you for graduate work in Latin American Studies. You should also indicate the principal academic interests that you intend to pursue through the M.A. program, and why you consider University of Illinois a good fit for those interests. Finally, you should explain how the M.A. in Latin American Studies fits within your longer-term academic and professional goals. On all of these points, try to offer as much as you can in the way of specific details that will help the Committee get to know you, your experiences, and your interests.

Can I apply for a Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowship?

If you are a US citizen or resident, and if you are interested in studying Portuguese or Quechua on campus you can apply for the FLAS fellowship through the Center for Global Studies (CGS). Explain in your statement of purpose your interest in the study of the language and how this fits with your academic interests. FLAS fellowships pays tuition and fee-waivers and provides a monthly stipend to students. For more information about FLAS fellowships please contact the Center for Global Studies FLAS Coordinator.

How many students begin the M.A. program each year?

Entering classes normally range from 3-6 students in size.

For any other questions please contact the Associate Director of CLACS, Kasia Szremski at, 217- 300-2231