Graduate Summer Fellowships
The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies announces our call for applications for our 2017 Summer Research Fellowships. These fellowships are meant to provide support research travel to Latin America for graduate students doing research in Latin America. Students may apply to any of the three programs below:
Tinker Foundation Fellowship or Whitten Fellowship
Awards are for up to approximately $2000 each and are intended primarily to support travel expenses related to field research in Latin America for graduate students at the master’s or doctoral level. The Tinker Foundation defines Latin America as the Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries of the Western Hemisphere; it does not include Belize, the Iberian Peninsula or Puerto Rico (Whitten funding cover Puerto Rico). Any graduate student with Latin American-related interests is eligible to apply. Students who have already achieved ABD status are not eligible to apply as the award is not intended for advanced dissertation research. Citizens of Latin American countries enrolled at UIUC may receive awards to conduct research in their home countries if they have no previous field research experience related to the proposed project in that country.
Thanks to the generous support of Professor Werner Baer (Economics), the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies announces the competition for this fellowship to graduate students working in Latin America. This fellowship is intended for PhD students who have reached ABD status and who look to spend at least 4 weeks conducting research in Latin America.
Thanks to the generous support of Professor Joseph Love (History), the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies announces the competition for this fellowship to graduate students working in Latin America. This fellowship is intended for PhD students who have reached ABD status and who look to spend at least 4 weeks conducting research in Latin America.
Please submit 1 PDF electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2017 Summer Fellowships. The PDF should contain the following documents:
• Application Cover letter (please indicate the competitions you are applying to) (download PDF here)
• Current Transcript
• Title Page with Abstract (200-word max)
• Brief Project Narrative (max 5 pages double-spaced, size 12 font).
• References Cited
• Detailed Budget
• Two letters of reference to be submitted via email to Kasia Szremski (email@example.com)
Project proposals will be evaluated on their intellectual merit and feasibility.
Deadline: All materials must be received by February 13th, 2017.
Please visit the CLACS website for more information.
Post-Travel Reporting Checklist:
Awardees will be required to furnish the following documents:
- Within two weeks of arrival on site, the student is required to send a one-page letter to the Center reporting on initial set-up and negotiations with the host country institution. Awardees should supply the Center with a contact address, phone number, fax, and e-mail address.
- Two-page Final Report (electronic) within two weeks after travel.
- Digital pictures (2-4) that illustrate the research experience to be included in the report.
- The report to the Center must conclude with a report on the expenditures of the grant.
- All original receipts and other documentation expenses.
- Paper (10-12 pages).
- Any thesis, publication or any other substantial product of the research must include acknowledgment of funding provided by the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
You may obtain additional copies and information at the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Phone: 217-333-3182, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alana Ackerman, David Aristizabal, Dinah Armstead, Claire Branigan, Gustavo Cortes, Catalina Hernandez-Cabal, Heilin Jahnke, Jennifer Kirker Priest, Claudia Lagos, Jessica Lira Viana, Juan Mora, Liz Moreno, Katia Nakamura, Gana Ndiaye, Cassandra Osei, Gonzalo Pinilla, Ingrid Romero, Summer Sanford, Juan Suarez, Elizabeth Villegas, Luke Zehr.
Alana Ackerman, Jason Ahlenius, David Aristizabal, Krysta Beam, Dexter Burns, Sergio Contreras, Silvia Escanilla, Carmen Gallegos, Brenda Garcia, Ethan Madarieta, Cristina Mostacero, Carolina Ortega, Fabian Prieto, Thais R. S. de Sant’Ana, Kelly Senters, Marin Thompson, Erin Updyke .
Rafael Achury, Phred Benham, Juan Bernal, Elena Bonicelli, Carol Burga, Rico Kleinstein Chenyek, Stella Choi, Annie Contractor, Marilia Correa, Christopher Eager, Kathleen Ernst, Raquel Escobar, Aron Katz, Rebeca Linares, John Marquez, Luis Mojica, Mauricio Pino, Jazmin Ridley, Jim Sauls, Juan Suarez.
Megan Bohardt, Cristian Cabalin, Rico Chenyek, Zev Cossin, Lydia Crafts, Luis Escobedo, Jessica English, Krista Evensen, Patricia Galvez, Carrie Gordon, Derek Haselhorst, Bryce Henson, Christopher Long, Katherine Magerko, Sergio Poo-Dalidet, Jenica Rosen.